On Tuesday, 1st September, the Better Together support service will replace the existing Covid-19 Support Group. The Facebook-based service will be a peer-lead, online 1-to-1 emotional and practical support service via messenger to those living with spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus in Ireland. The initiative aims to foster an environment whereby:
Individuals living with spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus who have overcome similar life challenges can pass on their experiences to others seeking advice.
There is an opportunity for 1-to-1 communication with the goal of forming personal relationships and promoting peer culture.
The Better Together Support Service will be available from Monday – Friday, 1pm - 7pm. The page will go live at 1pm on Tuesday, 1st September.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Principles of Better Together
The Better Together support service is guided by several principles and core values which are supported by SBHI Policies and Procedures. Please see the following principles:
- Show mutual respect.
- Do not judge anyone.
- Respect everyone’s opinion.
- Respect everyone’s privacy and confidentiality.
- Do not use offensive or abusive language.
- Provide empathy and understanding towards each other.
- Respect personal boundaries.
- Be supportive, helpful, and encouraging
All private one-to-one conversations within the service will take place through Facebook Messenger to ensure confidentiality - this will also ensure compliance with GDPR regulation.
The SBHI Peer Supporters and the SBHI Better Together Coordinator will have access to the page and can view all messages. All messages responded to will be deleted.
There will be an option of one-to-one video calls through Zoom with an allocated Peer Supporter at an agreed time if required. Anyone requiring a video call will be required to give their written consent to be on video call in advance in line with GDPR regulations.
Relevant content and material will be posted on the page on a regular basis.
You can comment publicly on the page if you wish.
The Better Together support service will be available from Monday – Friday, 1pm – 7pm. If you need support outside of these hours, please see the listed contacts below.
If you would like us to share an anonymous query to our page, please email: [email protected]
Mental Health Contacts (outside of Better Together hours)
- SpunOut.ie: Text 0861800280 24 hr helpline
- Jigsaw: Freephone 1800544729 from 1pm – 5pm Monday – Friday. Or text CALL ME to 086-1803880
- Pieta House: call 1800 247 247 or text HELP to 51444
- Aware: Freephone Support Line 1800 80 48 48 from 10am to 10pm every day.
- Samaritans: Free 24-hour helpline 116123 or email [email protected]
- Mental Health Ireland: Information line on (01) 284 1166 available Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm or email [email protected]
- Reachout.com Helpline is 01-764 5666. Aged 12- 25 years.