Webinar Series: Wheelchair Skills Training
Wheelchair Skills Training for 3-8 Year Olds
Exciting news🎉We have moved our Wheelchair Skills Training programme for children aged 3-8 years online! Originally scheduled to have taken place in Navan and Enniscorthy, the programme will now be delivered via webinar series on our website. Learning how to effectively use your wheelchair is vital for a child’s confidence and future independence, so we are delighted to now offer these essential training sessions online!
As lockdown restrictions begin to ease, we have had a chance to reflect upon the skills we have developed, the skills we require, the programmes of which we are involved and the work we have yet to action. This is as applicable to SBHI as it is to all children living with SB/H and their families.
We are very fortunate to have been afforded the opportunity to develop and run our Wheelchair Skills Training programme for children aged 3-8 years, both on-site and online. We would like to extend our gratitude to the following individuals involved in this programme:
• The very dedicated participant families
• Our programme funders, Early Childhood Ireland Pyjama Day Fund
• Our Wheelchair Skills Coach, Jenn McKee
• The University of Limerick, who undertook the research
• The Mid West Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus Association & the Spina Bifida Hydrocephalus Ireland (SBHI) Kildare Branch for their facilities
• The Government of Ireland, who funded the SBHI staff who developed and ran the programme. Namely, Katie Dunphy, Talent Nyamakope and Sean O’Doherty.
Initially, the Wheelchair Skills Training programme was designed to be held in small groups in various locations. However, the onset of Covid-19 presented us with an opportunity to develop the programme as a webinar series. As always, learning how to effectively use your wheelchair is vital for a child’s confidence and future independence, so we are delighted to now offer these essential training sessions online!
We will keep you informed if there are plans to develop more Wheelchair Skills Training programmes in future. Stay safe everyone and keep building on those all-important wheelchair skills!
If you have any questions in relation to the programme, please email [email protected]
Module 1 - Part 1
Module 1 - Part 2
Module 2 - Part 1
Module 2 - Part 2
Module 3 - Part 1
Module 3 - Part 2
This programme is supported by: