Welcome to SBHI Better Together, previously known as the SBHI Peer Support Service. Please ensure you read the terms and conditions for the group before requesting to join. If you are under 18, we will require written consent from a guardian in the form of a written email which can be sent to [email protected]
The Facebook-based service is a peer-lead, online group and one-to-one emotional and practical support service via messenger to those living with spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus in Ireland. The initiative aims to foster an environment whereby: Individuals living with spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus who have overcome similar life challenges can pass on their experiences to others seeking advice. There is an opportunity for peer-to-peer communication with the goal of forming personal relationships and promoting peer culture. The Better Together Support Service is available from Monday – Friday, 1pm - 7pm.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Principles of Better Together
The Better Together support service is guided by several principles and core values which are supported by SBHI Policies and Procedures. Please see the following principles:
- Show mutual respect.
- Do not judge anyone.
- Respect everyone’s opinion.
- Respect everyone’s privacy and confidentiality.
- Do not use offensive or abusive language.
- Provide empathy and understanding towards each other.
- Respect personal boundaries.
- Be supportive, helpful, and encouraging
- This is a closed/private group to ensure the privacy and confidentiality of our members at all times. This ensures compliance with GDPR Guidelines.
- The SBHI Better Together Coordinator and 5 SBHI trained peer supporters will have access to the group to provide peer support and share experiences where necessary.
- One-to-one private and confidential peer support is available on Facebook messenger by messaging ‘Sbhi Peer’. The SBHI Better Together Coordinator and 5 SBHI trained peer supporters will be able to view all messages. Messages will be responded to by a trained SBHI peer supporter and will be deleted when responded to.
- Any posts which are posted directly on the group page will be seen by the other members of the group.
- There is an option of one-to-one video calls through Zoom with an allocated peer supporter at an agreed time if required. Anyone requiring a video call will be required to give their written consent to be on video call in advance in line with GDPR regulations.
- Relevant content and material will be posted to the group on a regular basis by the ‘Better Together’ team.
- All material and content posted to the group must be relevant to the supportive nature of the group. Information should be helpful and supportive and from a genuine or reliable source. False and speculative information can lead to additional anxiety for our members.
SBHI will manage the ‘Better Together’ group at all times to ensure adherence to the terms and conditions. If there are breaches of the above terms and conditions, you will be removed from the group by SBHI with immediate effect. SBHI will remove any posts which it deems to be inappropriate with immediate effect, adhering to the terms and conditions above.
If you would like us to share an anonymous query to our page, please email: [email protected]
If you need support outside of 'Better Together' hours, please see the listed contacts below.
Mental Health Contacts (outside of Better Together hours)
- SpunOut.ie Text 0861800280 24 hr helpline
- Jigsaw Freephone 1800544729 from 1pm – 5pm Monday – Friday. Or text CALL ME to 086-1803880
- Pieta House call 1800 247 247 or text HELP to 51444. Available 24 hours a day
- Aware Freephone Support Line 1800 80 48 48 from 10am to 10pm every day.
- Samaritans Free 24 hour helpline 116123 or email [email protected]
- Mental Health Ireland Information line on (01) 284 1166 available Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm or email [email protected]
- Reachout.com Helpline is 01-764 5666. Aged 12- 25 years.
- Mymind https://mymind.org/covid-19-project. They are offering free online counselling to anyone directly affected by COVID-19. You may be eligible.
- Turn to Me https://www.turn2me.ie/ They are offering free online counselling and online support groups to people over 18.
- Grow Mental Health Recovery Information line on 1890 474 474. Email: [email protected]
- New free 24 hour text service funded by the HSE. Text 50808